CPD stands for continuing professional development, a requirement for all registrants
This is how you learn and develop throughout your career, ensuring your skills and knowledge are up to date so that you can practise safely.
We set out standards for CPD that every registrant should meet, to ensure that their activities are effective.
To meet the CPD standards, you need to:
- Carry out learning activities on a regular basis.
- Carry out different kinds of learning activities.
- Keep a record in the way that is most convenient for you.
- Carry out activities that might improve your practice and benefit your service users.
- Take part in an audit if asked.
Whenever you renew your registration with HCPC, you will be asked to sign a form to confirm that you continue to meet the our standards, one of which is our standards for continuing professional development.
When each profession renews, we randomly select 2.5 per cent of registrants from that profession and ask them to submit their CPD profile. This is the CPD audit.
If you are picked for audit, you need to:
- renew your registration and pay the registration fee (as you normally would);
- complete a CPD profile by the deadline; and
- provide supporting evidence that shows how the activities you have carried out meet the standards and the dates they were undertaken. This should also explain any gaps in your CPD of three or more consecutive months.
Our guidance document covers examples of activities, tips on putting together a profile and information about CPD audits.